Thursday, December 20, 2007

Upgrading to Windows XP SP2

After months of soul-searching, I made the gut-wrenching decision today to upgrade my home PC to Windows XP SP2.

Upgrade from Vista, that is.

I'm completely convinced that Vista is not designed to run on single-core/processor machines.  I've run Vista on work machines without any hiccups, with Aero Glass going full on.  I thought I had a semi-decent home PC:

  • AMD Athlon XP 2800+
  • 2 GB RAM

Alas, it was not enough to net me more than about 2.9 on the Windows Experience Index.  UAC annoys the hell out of me, most file operations take forever, I'm denied access to do simple operations, like creating a folder on my D: drive.  At work, I'll turn all of these safety features off, as I'm okay running with scissors in a development environment.  I have no idea how a home user deals with all of it, I sure couldn't.  Hopefully Vista's SP1 will fix these issues.

2 comments:

Dominic said...

I used vista x64 on amd x2 4400 with 2gb ram. It is working better than XP. I think the choke point on your system is the single core processor.

Jimmy Bogard said...

@dominic

It's definitely the single core. I use Vista on a couple of other machines, both of which are dual-core, and they're just fine.